59 Castle Street
(0)28 2076 2942Email:
Directions from Town:
In the centre of Ballycastle above the Diamond
April - May & September Fri - Sat 10am - 6pm, Sun 12noon - 4pm
July & August Daily 10am - 6pm
Open European Heritage Open Days
The Ballycastle museum is housed in the 18th century courthouse and market building. The Collection includes the very important and fine Irish Homes Industries Workshop which was part on the Arts and Crafts Revival in Ireland. Much of this material was displayed in the Irish Pavilion at the St Louis World Fair in 1904 through F.J. Bigger and R.J. Welch.
The first Glen Feis in 1904, with lead organiser F.J. Bigger, featured banners designed by John Campbell, representing the nine glens of Antrim. The magnificent Taise banner is now the only known one in existence from that Feis and is on display in Ballycastle Museum. The collection also features artworks by prominent Irish artists such as J.W. Carey, John Campbell, Rosamund Praegar and watercolours by A. Nicholl and John Nixon. There is also social history material of the 19th and 20th century, Neolithic finds from Rathlin Island, Bronze Age material and a photographic and postcard archive.
Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council is a partner in Causeway Museum Service which develops and delivers museum services with collections.
NB. This map is based on the postcode and so may not reflect the exact location.