Kinbane Castle is dramatically sited on the 'ceann bán', gaelic for 'white (chalk) headland', in a position of great natural strength. Reported to have been built by Colla MacDonnell shortly before 1551, it is known to have been captured and partly destroyed by the English in that year, but was reoccupied and traditionally used until the mid 18th century. The castle was entered through a gate in the south wall, protected by a tower with a gun-loop at the south-west angle, partly ruined. The main surviving masonry is the tower at the south angle, two stories high with good detail visible. Beyond was a walled enclosure, partly defended by the steep cliffs and partly the wall, now largely grass-grown but with traces of at least two gun-loops north-east of the tower.
PLEASE NOTE: This site is dangerous because of eroding rock and steep drops. Great care is needed. The rock is not safe beyond the castle.