Cushendall is a conservation town and is know locally as ‘The Capital of the Glens’, at the foot of Lurigethan Mountain.   Francis Turnley, who built the prominent Curfew Tower in its centre in 1817, owned Cushendall, once known as Newtownglens.  Troublesome citizens were confined in this tower!  There is a minor road from the shore near Cushendall Golf Club that winds uphill to the remains of the ancient church and graveyard of Layde, a quiet place from which to enjoy views of Red Bay and the lush countryside surrounding Cushendall.